Punjab Vidhan Sabha Secretariat
The 5 th November, 2019
No. 19-PLA-2019/52.- The Punjab Regulation of Fee of Unaided Educational Institutions (Amendment) Bill, 2019 is hereby published for general information under the proviso to rule 121 of the Rules of procedure and Conduct of Business in the Punjab Vidhan Sabha (Punjab Legislative Assembly):-
The Punjab Regulation of Fee of Unaided Educational Institutions (Amendment) Bill, 2019
further to amend the Punjab Regulation of Fee of Unaided Educational Institutions Act, 2016.
BE it enacted by the Legislature of the State of Punjab in the Seventieth Year of the Republic of India as follows:-
1. Short Title and Commencement:
(i) This Act may be called the Punjab Regulation of Fee of Unaided Educational Institutions (Amendment) Act, 2019,
(2) It shall come into force on and with effect from the date of its publication in the Official Gazette.
2. Amendment in section 2 of Punjab Act 47 of 2016.
In the Punjab Regulation of Fee of Unaided Educational Institutions Act, 2016 (hereafter referred to as principal Act), in section 2, after clause (f), the following clause shall be inserted, namely:-
(ff) “conspicuous place” means and include Notice Board and website of the United Educational Institutions and website of the Department of School Education;
3. Substitution of section 3 in Punjab Act 47 of 2016.
In the principal Act, for section 3, the following section shall be substituted, namely:-
“3. Constitution of Regulatory Body.
(1) There shall be constituted a regulatory body to be known as the Regulatory Body for regulating fee of Unaided Educational Institutions at the District level in the State 0f Punjab to exercise the powers conferred upon and perform the functions assigned to it under this Act.
(2) The Regulatory Body shall consist of the following, namely :-
|(a) Deputy Commissioner of the district concerned or an officer not below the rank of Additional Deputy Commissioner,
|(b) District Education Officer (Secondary Education);
|(c) District Education Officer (Elementary Education);
|(d) two members, to be nominated by the Government from amongst the eminent educationists of the district concerned; and
|(e) the Chairperson of the Regulatory Body may associate any other officer of the Government, if so required.
(3). The nominated members referred to in sub-section (2), shall be paid such remuneration and travelling allowance for attending the meeting of the Regulatory Body, as may be prescribed.”
4. Amendment in section 4 of Punjab Act 47 of 2016.
In the principal Act, in section 4, for the words “the concerned Division”, the words the concerned District” shall be substituted.
5. Amendment in section 5 of Punjab Act 47 of 2016.
In the principal Act, in section 5, for the second proviso, the following provisos shall be substituted, namely:-
“Provided further that increase in fee shall not exceed eight percent of the fee of the previous year charged by the Unaided Educational Institution. In case an Unaided Educational Institution intends to increase the fee beyond eight percent of the previous year, the said institution shall notify and display at a conspicuous place the proposed annual fees and the funds to be charged by them one month before the start of admissions to the next academic session:
Provided further that a complaint in respect of such fee or funds, as defined in clauses (g) and (h) of section 2 read with section 9, to be charged by such institutions alongwith any proposed increase in fee and/or funds, may be made before the Regulatory Body and said Body shall dispose of such complaint in accordance with the provisions of this Act:
Provided further that the student^whose father or earning member dies during their study in an Unaided Educational Institution, shall not be compelled to leave the institution on account of non-payment of fee or funds and such students shall not be charged any fee till the completion of their studies in that institution: :
Provided further that in case the Unaided Educational Institutions ‘ specify for purchasing of specific uniforms or books, they shall have to notify and display the specifications of such uniforms and books at conspicuous place and the parents shall be at liberty to purchase such uniforms or books from any place of their choice. However, the colour and design and any other specification of the uniforms so notified, shall not be changed at least for next two years.”
STATEMENT OF OBJECTS AND REASONS
1. The Punjab Regulation of Fee of Unaided Educational Institutions Act, 2016 had been enacted for purpose of regulating fee of unaided educational institutions in the State of Punjab and for the matters connected therewith or incidental thereto.
2. The said Act of 2016 for the first time requires amendments for the smooth functioning of the Unaided Educational Institutions in the State of Punjab as certain difficulties are being faced by such unaided educational institutions in implementing this Act of 2016.
Hence in order to bring the said Act in line with the above difficulties being faced by the unaided Educational Institutions in the State of Punjab. The definition of ‘Conspicuous Place’ has been inserted as Section – 2 (f) (a), followed by substitution of Regulatory Body in Section – 3, substitution of ‘Division’ with ‘District’ for the purpose of Headquarters of Regulatory Body in Section – 4, amendment in second proviso of Section – 5 and addition of 3 more proviso in Section – 5 by way of amendment in the said Act.
VIJAY INDER SINGLA
Education Minister, Punjab.
SHASHI LAKHANPAL MISHRA