THE PUNJAB RENT ACT, 1995
(Punjab Act No. 13 of 2012)
An Act to provide for the regulation of rents, repairs and maintenance and eviction relating to premises and matters connected therewith in the State of Punjab.
1. Short title extent, application and commencement
3. Certain provision not to apply to premises
4. Registration of tenancy agreement
5. Inheritability of tenancy.
6. Basic Rent base Year.
7. Standard Rent
8. Other charges payable
9. Revision of rent in certain cases
10. Notice of revision of rent
11. Rent Authority to fix standard rent etc.
12. Fixation of interim rent
13. Receipt to be given for rent paid.
14. Deposit of rent
16. Saving as to acceptance of rent and other charges payable and forfeiture in deposit.
17. Duties of landlord.
18. Duties of tenant.
19. Cutting off or withholding essential supply of service.
20. Protection of tenants against eviction
21. Right to recovery immediate possession of premises to accrue to certain persons.
23. Right to recover immediate possession of premises to accrue to Central and State Government employees.
24. Right to Recover immediate possession of premises to accrue to widows handicapped and old persons.
25. Payment of rent during eviction proceedings.
26. Restrictions on-such-letting
27. Notice of creation and termination of subtenancy.
28. Sub-tenant to be tenant in certain cases.
29. Recovery of possession for occupation and re-enty.
30. Recovery of possession for repair.
31. Recovery of possession in case of tenancies for limited period.
32. Special provision for recovery of possession in certain cases.
33. Premission to construct additional structure.
34. Special provisions regarding vacant building sites.
35. Vacant possession to landlord
36. Appointment of Rent Authorities and additional Rent Authorities.
37. Power of Rent Authority.
38. Procedure to be followed by Rent Authority.
38. Application to Rent Authority.
39. Establishment of Punjab Rent Tribunal.
40. Composition of Tribunal and Benches thereof.
41. Qualifications for appointment as Chairman and Members.
42. Term of offices.
43. Senior-most Member to act as Chairman or discharge his functions in certain circumstances.
44. Salaries, Allowances and other terms and conditions of service of Chairman and other Members.
45. Resignation and removal.
46. Provision as to the holding of offices by Chairman and Member on ceasing to be such Chairman or Member.
47. Financial and administrative powers of Chairman.
48. Staff of the Tribunal.
49. Distribution of business among the benches.
50. Jurisdiction powers and authority of the Tribunal.
51. Power to punish for contempt.
52. Application to Tribunal.
53. Procedure of Tribunal.
54. Appeal to the Tribunal
55. Conditions as to making of interim orders.
56. Right of applicant to take assistance of legal practitioner.
57. Power of Chairman to transfer case from one Bench to another.
58. Decision to be by majority.
59. Exclusion of jurisdiction of Courts except Supreme Court
60. Transfer of pending cases.
61. Proceedings before the Tribunal to be judicial proceedings.
62. Members and Staff of the Tribunal to be public Servants.
63. Protection of action taken in good faith.
64. Criminal jurisdiction of the Tribunal.
65. Amendment of Orders.
66. Finality of Orders.
68. Jurisdiction of civil courts barred in respect of certain matters.
69. Rent Authorities to be public servants.
70. Protection of action taken in good faith.
71. Special provision regarding decrees affected by the East Punjab Urban Rent Restriction Act, 1949.
72. Transfer of pending cases to Rent Authority.
73. Power of Government to remove difficulties.
74. Power of Government to frame rule.
75. Repeal and Savings.
Download: Punjab Rent Act, 1995