GOVERNMENT OF PUNJAB
DEPARTMENT OF HOUSING & URBAN DEVELOPMENT
The August,26, 2016
Whereas it has emerged that planned development of Low Density Eco-friendly Residential projects may be a better option from the point of view of encouraging planned development especially outside urban areas and also it may go a long way in discouraging development of farmhouses in a sporadic manner in the agriculture zone. Thus the focus of such projects/townships should be on incorporating the latest know-how of ecologically sensitive design norms, and accordingly, such projects may be termed as “LOW DENSITY COUNTRY HOMES RESIDENTIAL DEVELOPMENT PROJECTS.”
Therefore, the Governor of Punjab is pleased to make the following policy for the planned development of Low Density Country Homes Residential Developments:-
Any site which fulfills the following location norms can be considered for granting approval for a Low Density Country Homes Residential Development:
- These projects shall be considered in the Residential/ Agriculture Zone within Master Plan or within Agricultural zone outside Master Plan but shall not be permissible in the restricted areas under any act/ rules/ guidelines/ notifications of the center/ state government. Where no Master Plan has been notified so far in that case the project may be sanctioned with approval of the Govt, provided that the site should be outside the existing M.C. limit of the town.
- No such project shall be permitted in the area falling in No Construction Zone of National Highway/ Scheduled Road or in forest areas of the State or areas where construction is not allowed under any statute.
MINIMUM AREA AND ACCESS PARAMETERS
1) The minimum area requirement for such project shall be 30 acres. However, no additional approval in continuation of already approved project shall be allowed unless the applicant has another chunk of at least 30 acres for which a separate approval will be granted especially for low density development. The site of the project should be compact and contiguous.
2) Access Parameters: Such project shall be accessible through at least 18 meter wide road. In case the existing access road is less than 18 meter wide then the Promoter has to leave land equal to half of the land required for widening the road to :L8 meter from his ownership. The widening of access road shall only be permitted if the minimum width of the existing approach road/ rasta is 6.5 meter (22 feet). The construction of approach road if required shall be the responsibility of the Promoter.
3) Plot Size: The plot size permitted in such colony shall range from 1 acre to 2.5 standard acres. However, clubbing of two or more plots may be allowed provided that zoning of the higher size will be applicable. But the subdivision of the plot size approved in the layout plan will not be permissible.
The Building Plans shall be got approved from the Competent Authority before starting construction of the building. The Competent Authority for such projects shall be the special Development Authority of the concerned area.
These projects shall serve to be model projects based on ecologically sensitive principles of design and development. The broad principles that shall be followed for such projects are as follows:
- The site shall be developed as a self sustainable unit.
- Installation of solar water heating system shall be provided in the building by each .individual building owner.
- Provision for integrated facility for storage, water harvesting, purification, distribution and recycling of storm-water aiming for no external source of watet supply.
- Each plot holder shall have Individual Sewage Treatment Plant (STP) for fulfilling the farming, flushing and domestic water requirements. However, the promoter shall have an option to provide a Common Sewage Treatment Plant along with recycling and independent distribution system, in case of common STP, individual STP may not be provided.
- Swimming pool in individual plots with maximum size of 25 meters shall be permissible subject to the condition that it will be exclusively for the personal use of the plot owner and not for commercial purpose. Structural and public safety measures for the construction, operation and maintenance of swimming pool shall be adhered to.
- Restriction on the residential density of the colony to a maximum of 25 persons per acre including owner’s dwelling unit and domestic help residence.
- Provision of cycle tracks, walkways etc. .
- Mandatory planting of at least 5Q trees/ plants of indigenous variety along the edge of each plot.
- Mandatory on-site/on-plot provision for meeting the housing needs of service personnel/ labour of each plot located in such colony.
OTHER PLANNING NORMS:
The following planning norms shall be followed in such projects:-
- No internal road in such projects shall be less than 12 meter width. The main access road within the project shall be a minimum 18 meter wide upto 50 acres site, minimum 24 meter above 50 acres to 100 acres and minimum 30 meter for projects above 100 acres area. .
- The ground coverage, FAR and height of the residential buildings shall be as given in the table below:-
* No subdivision of a plot to the size of less than 1 acre will be allowed.
3) A chain link fencing or hedges shall demarcate the individual plots, preferably.
However, boundary walls may also be allowed. No commercial exploitation of the sites, viz., usage as banquet hall/party hall/ resort/ club shall be allowed.
4) Any such Low Density Country Homes Residential Development Project can be developed as a gated community.
5) The maximum saleable area permitted in such project shall be limited to 65% of the total area of the project. It shall not be mandatory for the promoter to provide independent organized parks as due to bigger size of plots and due to maximum 25% ground coverage allowed, a sufficient green areas within the plots will be available. Similarly due to low density development it will not be mandatory for the promoter to provide institutional area such as school in the project but the sites for utilities such as Common Sewerage Treatment Plant; Water works etc will be provided in the layout plan. However commercial shops as required for daily needs can also be provided in the project by the promoter maximum upto 5% of the area. In case of projects where sewer linkage with existing main sewer is not available, the promoter/ developer will provide details of scientific disposal of treated water.
6) Apart from above, after providing all mandatory infrastructure in the project an area upto 10% of the land available out of the non saleable area of the project may be used for setting up of Solar Farms. The technical parameters for the establishment of such Solar Farms shall be established in consultation with PEDA.
7) Integrated facility for storage, water harvesting, purification, distribution and recycling of storm-water aiming for no external source of water supply, minimum ground water extraction and zero run-off shall be provided. Such network shall also be integrated with Sewerage Treatment Plant for recycling of treated sewage. Dual Pipeline system for separately fulfilling the flushing, watering of plants/ grassy lawns and for domestic water requirements shall be provided.
APPLICABLE FEES & CHARGES: .
The CLU and LF/ PF shall be charged at the rate as fixed for residential plotted colony in the respective zone on such projects. However EDC charges shall be levied as given below:-
- At the rate of 100% of the prescribed EDC for residential plotted colony in the respective potential zone notified by the Govt, in case the project falls within the residential zone of the notified Master Plan;
- At the rate of 75% of the prescribed EDC for residential plotted colony in the respective potential zone notified by the Govt, in case the project falls in the agriculture zone of the notified Master Plan and;
- At the rate of 50% of the prescribed EDC for residential plotted colony in the respective potential zone notified by the Govt, in case the project falls in the agriculture zone outside the notified Master Plan.
The reduced rate of EDC is chargeable as it will not be mandatory for the local/ Development authority to provide any external infrastructure/services for such projects other than the existing one. The SIF charges on amount of CLU, LF/PF and EDC shall be charged at the rate as fixed by the Government from time to time.
- Provision of EWS Housing: No separate area shall be reserved for EWS Housing as it is mandatory for each plot holder to provide housing to his/ her service personal.
- Licensing under PAPRA: All such projects have to take license under PAPRA, 1995 before undertaking development of the site and sale of plots and shall be governed by the provisions of this Act except u/s 5 (11). All other statutory clearances, including from Punjab Pollution Control Board, shall also be obtained.
Viswajeet Khanna, IAS
Principal Secretary to Government of Punjab,
Department of Housing & Urban Development,