Gram Panchayat Plantation of Trees Policy
Name and commencement of the Policy
1. The policy may be called the Punjab Gram Panchayat Plantation of Trees Policy 2011. In short the policy shall be called ’Plantation Policy’
2. It shall come into force on and w.e.f. the date of its publication in the official gazette.
3. The words and expressions used in this policy, but not defined, shall have the same meaning as assigned to them in the Punjab Village Common Lands (Regulation) Act, 1961 and the Punjab Village Common Lands (Regulation) Rules, 1964.
4. Aims and Objectives,- To check the trend of declining under ground water table and erosion of lands, to combat pollution, to create clean environment and to enhance green belt in the state of Punjab.
5. Plantation of Trees On Gram Panchayat Lands,- Trees shall be planted on the cultivable lands of the Gram Panchayats having more than five acres of land subject to the following conditions:-
(i) A Gram Panchayat shall utilize one third part of its cultivable lands for plantation of trees after leaving the land reserved for leasing out to the members of the Scheduled Castes under rule 6 (1)(a) of the rules ibid.
(ii) Trees-species having long rotation, fruit bearing (except horticulture plants), medicinal value, cultural importance, shall be adopted for plantation, to control the declining ground water table.
(iii) The Gram Panchayat shall procure quality plants from the reliable sources i.e. Department of Forest, Punjab Agriculture university and any other Government agency.
(iv) The Plantation work shall be carried out under the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act 2005 or under any other Government scheme.
(v) The Plantation shall be made at once on the vacant lands available at present and on the cultivable land after the expiry of current lease deed, if any.
(vi) The Choice of plants (including eucalyptus trees) may be made by the Gram Panchayats in consultation with the officials of Forest Department and may obtain necessary guidance from them for Plantation and their maintenance. Eucalyptus trees shall only be planted if recommended by the Forest Department in a particular area.
Provided that plantation on Jumla Mushtarka Mallkan lands shall also be made in the same manner as provided in this policy.
6. The additional expenditure, if any, incurred on the plantation shall be fit charge under sub-section (3) of section 86 of the Punjab Panchayati Raj Act 1994.
7. The plantation on the Panchayat lands shall be exempted from the provisions of the Indian Forest Act 1927 as amended from time to time, unless the State Government decides otherwise.
8. Half yearly report regarding the plantation in Annexure A shall be sent by the Gram Panchayats through the District Development and Panchayat Officer to the Director Rural Development and Panchayat.
Financial Commissioner and Secretary,
Government of Punjab,Department of
Rural Development and Panchayat
Download: Original Notice