Government of Punjab
Department of Revenue, Rehabilitation and Disaster
The 4th February, 2019
No.G.S.R 5/Const./ Art.309/ 2019.- In exercise of the powers conferred by the proviso to Article 309 of the Constitution of India, and all other powers enabling him in this behalf, the Governor of Punjab is pleased to make the following rules for regulating the recruitment and conditions of Service of the persons appointed to the Punjab Tehsildars (Group B) Service, namely :–
1. Short title, commencement and application. –
(1) These rules may be called Punjab Tehsildars (Group B) Service Rules, 2019.
They shall come into force on and with effect from the date of their publication in the Official Gazette.
They shall apply to the posts specified in Appendix ‘A’.
(1) In these rules, unless the context otherwise requires,-
(a) ‘Appendix’ means an appendix appended to these rules;
(b) ‘Financial Commissioner’ means the Financial Commissioner Revenue or any other officer authorised by general or special order by the Government to perform the functions of the Financial Commissioner under these rules;
(c) ‘Government’ means the Government of the State of Punjab in the Department of Revenue and Rehabilitation; and
(d) ‘Service’ means the Punjab Tehsildars (Group B) Service.
(2) The words and expressions used, but not defined in these rules, shall have the same meaning as assigned to them in the Punjab Civil Services (General and Common Conditions of Service) Rules, 1994.
3. Number and Character of posts.-
The Service shall comprise the posts specified in Appendix ‘A’ to these rules:
Provided that nothing in these rules shall affect the inherent right of the Government to add or to reduce the number of such posts or to create new posts with different designations and scales of pay, whether permanently or temporarily.
4. Appointing Authority.-
Appointment to the Service shall be made by the Government.
5. Appointment of accepted candidates to the Service.-
Appointment to the Service shall be made in the manner herein provided by the Financial Commissioner from amongst the candidates whose names have been duly entered in the Registers of accepted candidates to be maintained under rule 7 in a slab of ten vacancies as follows:-
(1) the first, third, sixth and eighth vacancy shall be filled from amongst candidates borne on Register A;
(2) the second, fourth, seventh and ninth vacancy shall be filled from amongst candidates borne on Register B-I; and
(3) the fifth and tenth vacancy shall be filled from amongst the candidate borne on Register B-II.
6. Method of appointment, qualifications and experience.-
(1) Appointment to the Service shall be made in the manner specified in Appendix ‘B’:
Provided that if no suitable candidate is available for appointment to the Service by promotion and by direct appointment, the appointment to the Service shall be made by transfer of a person holding an analogous post under the State Government or Government of India.
(2) No person shall be appointed to a post in the Service, unless he possesses the qualification and experience, as specified against that post in Appendix ‘B’.
(3) Appointment to the Service by promotion shall be made on seniority-cum-merit basis and no person shall have any right to claim promotion on the basis of seniority alone.
7. Registers to be maintained.-
The following Registers of candidates shall be maintained by the Financial Commissioner, namely:-
(1) Register ‘A’ in which shall be entered the names of persons accepted as candidates from amongst the candidates, who have passed the examination as provided in the Punjab State Civil Services (Appointment by Combined Competitive Examination) Rules, 2009.
(2) Register B-I in which shall be entered the names of Naib-Tehsildars accepted as candidates;
(3) Register B-II in which shall be entered the names of persons belonging to the categories mentioned under column 5, clause (b) of Appendix “B” accepted as candidates;
Provided that mere entry of any person in a Register as accepted candidate shall not confer any right on that person for appointment to the Service.
8. Selection of candidates to be placed on Registers B-I and B-II .-
(1) Each Commissioner shall, at such time in a year as the Financial Commissioner may, by general or special order require, recommend the names of one or more Naib-Tehsildars who are borne on the cadre of his Division in order of the inter-se-seniority for appointment to the Service.
(2) Each Commissioner, in respect of the employees belonging to the category mentioned in sub-clause (i) of clause (b) of column 5 of Appendix B; each Deputy Commissioner, in respect of the employees belonging to the category mentioned in subclause (ii) of clause (b) of column 5 of Appendix B; and the Revenue Secretary, in respect of the employees mentioned in sub-clause (iii) of clause (b) of column 5 of Appendix B, may recommend to the Financial Commissioner the names of such persons in order of inter-se-seniority for appointment to the Service.
(3) The Financial Commissioner shall consider the names of persons recommended under sub-rules (1) and (2) and prepare a list, from amongst such persons, of candidates on the basis of seniority-cum-merit for appointment to the Service:
Provided that the list prepared by the Financial Commissioner shall not contain names exceeding twice the number of vacancies to be filled from amongst the candidates entered in Register B-I and B-II, respectively.
(4) All appointments to the Service by promotion shall be made on the basis of seniority- cum-merit and no person shall be entitled to claim promotion on the basis of seniority alone.
9. Departmental Examination.-
Every member of Service shall have to pass the Departmental Examination as may be prescribed by the Government from time to time:
Provided that if any member of Register B-I and Register B-II, as specified in sub-rule (2) and (3) of rule 7, who has already passed any examination of prescribed standard, shall not be required to pass the same examination again while qualifying the Departmental Examination.
Every member of Service shall have to undergo satisfactorily the course of training as may be prescribed by regulations framed by the Financial Commissioner.
11. Pay of members of the Service.-
The members of the Service shall be entitled to such scales of pay, as may be authorised by the Government in the Department of Finance from time to time. The scales of pay, at present, in force in respect of the members of the Service, are given in Appendix ‘A’.
12. Discipline, punishment and appeal.-
(1) In the matters of discipline, punishment and appeal, the members of the Service shall be governed by the Punjab Civil Services (Punishment and Appeal) Rules, 1970, as amended from time to time.
(2) The authority empowered to impose penalties as specified in rule 5 of the Punjab Civil Services (Punishment and Appeal) Rules, 1970 and the appellate authority thereunder in respect of the members of the Service, shall be as specified in Appendix ‘C’ to these rules.
(3) The authority competent to hear an appeal against an order specified in rule 15 of the Punjab Civil Services (Punishment and Appeal) Rules, 1970 other than an order imposing any of the penalties as mentioned in Appendix ‘C’ to these rules shall be as specified in Appendix ‘D’ to these rules.
13. Application of the Punjab Civil Services (General and Common Conditions of Service) Rules, 1994.-
(1) In respect of the matters, which are not specifically provided in these rules, the members of the Service shall be governed by the provisions of the Punjab Civil Services (General and Common Conditions of Service) Rules, 1994, as amended from time to time.
(2) The Punjab Civil Services (General and Common Conditions of Service) Rules, 1994, at present in force, are contained in Appendix ‘E’.
14. Framing of Regulations.-
The Financial Commissioner, Revenue may make regulations consistent with these rules for carrying out the purposes of the provisions of these rules.
15. Repeal and savings.-
The Punjab Tehsildars (Group-B) Service Rules, 1984, in so far as they are applicable to the members of the Service, are hereby repealed:
Provided that any order issued or any action taken under the rules, so repealed, shall be deemed to have been issued or taken under the corresponding provisions of these rules.
If any question arises as to the interpretation of these rules, the Government, in consultation with the Department of Personnel, shall decide the same.