The Punjab Educational Service (School and Inspection Border Area) Group ‘B’ Service Rules, 2018
No. G.S.R. 60/Const. Art. 309/2018.-In exercise of the powers conferred by the proviso to Article 309 of the Constitution of India and all other powers enabling him in this behalf, the Governor of Punjab is pleased to make the following rules, regulating the recruitment of the persons appointed to the Punjab Educational Service (School and Inspection Border Area) Group ‘B’ Service namely:-
Short title, commencement and application.-
(1) These rules may be called the Punjab Educational Service (School and Inspection Border Area) Group ‘B’ Service Rules, 2018.
(2) They shall come into force on and with effect from the date of their publication in the Official Gazette.
(3) They shall apply to the posts specified in Appendix ‘A’.
(4) Members of the existing cadre whose services are governed under the Punjab State Education – Class-III (School Cadre) Service Rules of 1978 shall have the right to exercise the option to retain their present cadre or become members of newly created service within three months from the date of publication of these rules:
Provided that while exercising option, principle of seniority shall be the deciding factor keeping in view the number of posts in the service:
Provided further that in case any employee does not exercise his option within the specified prescribed period, he shall be deemed to have opted for existing cadre:
Provided further that the option once exercised shall be final.
(1) In these rules, unless the context otherwise requires .-
(a) ‘Appendix’ means an Appendix appended to these rules;
(b) ‘Border Area’ means all cities, town and villages falling in the Districts of Amritsar, Gurdaspur, Ferozepur, Fazilka, TaranTarn and Pathankot.
(c) ‘Director’ means the Director of Public Instruction (Secondary Education) Punjab.
(d) ‘Government’ means the Government of State of Punjab in the Department of School Education; and
(e) ‘Service’ means the Punjab Educational Service (School and Inspection Border Area) Group ‘B’ Service.
(2) The words and expressions used, but not defined in these rules, shall have the same meaning as assigned to them in the Punjab Civil Services (General and Common Conditions of Service) Rules, 1994.
3. Number and character of posts.-
The Service shall comprise the posts specified in Appendix ‘A’:
Provided that nothing in these rules shall affect the inherent power of the Government to add to or reduce the number of posts or to create new posts with different designations and scales of pay whether permanently or temporarily.
4. Appointing Authority.-
Appointments to the Service shall be made by the Government.
5. Pay of members of the Service.-
The members of the Service shall be entitled to such scales of pay as may be authorized by the Department of Finance from time to time. The scales of pay at present in force in respect of the members of the Service, are given in Appendix ‘A’. However, the persons who have become members of service or exercise their option to opt the service shall be entitled to one additional increment in additional to their normal pay from date of such absorption in the Service. The members of service shall further be entitled to one additional increment on their every promotion to higher post in additional to normal benefit of higher responsibility as a special incentive.
6. Method of appointment, qualifications and experience.-
(1) All appointments to the service shall be made in the manner as specified in Appendix ‘B’:
Provided that if no suitable candidate is available for appointment to the Service by promotion or by direct appointment, the appointment to the Service shall be made by transfer of a person holding an analogous post under the State Government or Government of India.
(2) No person shall be appointed to the post in the Service, unless he possesses the qualifications and experience as specified against that post in Appendix ‘B’.
(3) Appointment to the Service by promotion shall be made on seniority-cum-merit basis, and no person shall have any right to claim promotion on the basis of seniority alone.
7. Departmental examination.-
A person appointed to the service either by way of direct recruitment or otherwise shall have to pass the Departmental Examination and proficiency in computer skills within a period of two years from the date of his initial appointment in accordance with the syllabi and guidelines framed by the Government from time to time and to be conducted by the Director or any other authority empowered by the Government in this behalf in addition to fulfillment of the requisite qualifications and experience as specified in Appendix ‘B’. However, till a member of the service passes the Departmental Examination, he shall not be entitled to his annual increments.
8. Teachers’ Eligibility Test.-
Wherever applicable in direct recruitment as per guidelines framed by the National Council of Teachers Education, Government of India, Teachers’ Eligibility Test shall also be one of the essential qualifications for the recruitment in the Service.
9. Discipline, punishment and appeal.-
(1)In the matters of discipline, punishment and appeal, the members of the Service shall be governed by the Punjab Civil Services (Punishment and Appeal) Rules, 1970, as amended from time to time.
(2) The authority empowered to impose penalties as specified in rule 5 of the Punjab Civil Services (Punishment and Appeal) Rules, 1970, in respect of the members of the Service, shall be the Government.
10. Application of the Punjab Civil Services (General and Common Conditions of Service) Rules, 1994.-
(1) In respect of the matters, which are not specifically provided in these rules, the members of the Service shall be governed by the provisions of the Punjab Civil Services (General and Common Conditions of Service) Rules, 1994, as amended from time to time.
(2) The Punjab Civil Services (General and Common Conditions of Service) Rules, 1994, at present in force, are contained in Appendix ‘C’
11. Assigning of additional duties/responsibilities.-
Notwithstanding anything contained in these rules, the Government or any other authority empowered in this behalf may assign the members of service any kind of special duties /responsibilities to be specified from time to time in addition to normal duties in furtherance to enhance the quality of education.
12. Repeal and saving.-
The Punjab State Education Class III (School Cadre) Service Rules, 1978, in so far as they are applicable to the members of the Service, are hereby repealed:
Provided that any order issued or any action taken under the rules so repealed, shall be deemed to have been issued or taken under the corresponding provisions of these rules.
If any question arises as to the interpretation of these rules, the Government in consultation with the Department of Personnel shall decide the same.