Government of Punjab
Department of Home Affairs and Justice
The 23rd September 2009.
No. G.S.R.______________/Const./Art.309/2008- In exercise of the powers conferred by the provisio to article 309 of the Constitution of India, and all other powers enabling him in this behalf, the Governor of Punjab is pleased to make the following rules regulating the recruitment and the conditions of Service of the persons appointed to the Punjab Police Ministerial (Group-A) Service, namely:-
1. Short title, commencement and application;-
(1) These rules may be called the Punjab Police Ministerial (Group-A) Service Rules, 2009.
(2) They shall come into force on and with effect from the date of their publication in the Official Gazette.
(3) They shall apply to the posts specified in Appendix ‘A’.
In these rules, unless the context otherwise requires;
(a) “Appendix” means an Appendix appended to these rules;
(b) Government means the Government of the State of Punjab in the Department of Home Affairs and Justice; and
(c) “Service” means the Punjab Police Ministerial (Group-A) Service.
3. Number and character of posts:-
The Service shall comprise the posts specified in Appendix ‘A’:
Provided that nothing in these rules shall affect the inherent right of the Government to add to or reduce the number of such posts or to create new posts with different designations and scales of pay, whether permanently or temporarily.
4. Appointing authority;-
Appointments to the Service shall be made by the Government.
5. Method of appointment, qualifications and experiences:-
(1) Appointment to the Service shall be made in the manner, specified in Appendix ‘B’.
Provided that if, no suitable candidate is available for appointment by promotion, appointment to the Service shall be made by transfer of a person holding a similar or an identical post under a State Government or Government of India.
(2) No person shall be appointed to a post in the Service unless he possesses the qualifications and experience as specified against that post in Appendix ‘B’.
(3) Appointment to the Service by promotion shall be made on senioritycum-merit basis, but no person shall have any right to claim promotion on the basis of seniority alone.
6. Pay of members of the Services:-
The members of the Service shall be entitled to such scales of pay, as may be authorized by the Punjab Government from time to time. The scales of pay at present in force, are given in Appendix ‘A’.
7. Discipline, punishment and appeal:-
(1) In the matters of discipline, punishment and appeal, the members of the Service shall be governed by the Punjab Civil Services (Punishment and Appeal) Rules, 1970 as amended from time to time, the Punjab Civil Services (Punishment and Appeal) Rules, 1970 in respect of the members of the Service, shall be the Government.
8. Application of the Punjab Civil Services (General and Common Conditions of Services) Rules, 1994:-
(1) In respect of the matters, which are not specifically provided in these rules, the members of the Service shall be governed by the Punjab Civil Services (General and Common Conditions of Service) Rules, 1994, as amended from time to time.
(2) The Punjab Civil Services (General and Common Conditions of Service) Rules 1994 at present in force, are contained in Appendix ‘C’.
If any question arises as to the interpretation of these rules, the Government in consultation with the Department of Personnel, shall decide the same.