GOVERNMENT OF PUNJAB
DEPARTMENT OF PERSONNEL
(Personnel Policies II Branch)
Dated, Chandigarh the 14th June, 1999
All the Heads of the Departments,
Commissioners of Divisions,
Deputy Commissioners, Registrar,
Punjab and Haryana High Court,
District and Session Judges and
Sub Divisional Magistrates (Civil)
in the State of Punjab.
Sub:- Issuance of Certificates for the purpose of seeking admission to various educational/technical/professional institutions in the State and also for employment.
It has been brought to the notice of Government that educational authorities and institutions prescribe various certificates regarding residence, SC/BC category and backward area etc. to be furnished by the students/candidates with the application forms for entrance examinations or employment in the formats and by the authorities different from those prescribed by the Government departments. Cases have also been reported where the authorities concerned insist on retaining original certificates and refuse to accept the attested photo copies of the certificates. All this results in harassment and panic among the students/candidates and their parents/guardian, since they have to apply with such certificates to more than one authorities simultaneously and within a limited period. The lists of certificates required at the time of applying for CET/JET/PMET and PAU are enclosed by way of illustration.
2. In order to overcome the difficulty mentioned above, it has been decided by the Government that the following procedure shall be followed meticulously by all the educational and other authorities concerned:–
(1) Certificates issued in the format and by the authorities prescribed by Government Departments shall be accepted as valid by all educational institutions and other authorities;
(2) Where a number of authorities have been authorised to issue the certificates there shall be no insistance on issue of a certificate by any particular authority or by the highest authority indicated in the format ;
(a) In case of entrance examinations, no certificate should be called for in the first instance alongwith the application form. It will be sufficient for the candidate seeking admission or other facility to indicate in the application form whether he/she belongs to any particular category entitling him/her to certain concessions or facility. Requisite certificates may be obtained only from the selected/wait listed candidates ;
(b) To further simplify the procedure attested copies of the certificates only shall be retained and original certificates if required to be produced at the time of interview shall be returned immediately, thereafter ;
(4) Parents/guardian or candidates can also obtain SC certificates from the Head of the institution where the candidate has studied if the proof is available in the school records ;
(5) The persons who are employed in Government of India or any other State Government are to be treated at par with the employees of the Government of Punjab in the matters of issue of Scheduled Caste Certificate provided relevant Scheduled Caste certificate exists in their service record. The Scheduled Caste Certificate in such cases will be issued by the respective Heads of Departments in the proforma below : –
Certificate to be issued by the Respective Head of the Department.
Certified that Shri____________S/o Sh.____________father/mother of Miss/Mr._____________is an employee_____________of (State Govt. Institutions/Undertakings) the Government of Punjab and is working as_____________. He is posted at Chandigarh/Punjab in connection with the Affairs of the Punjab Government for a period of past three years.
(6) In case of freedom fighters, political sufferers, terrorists/riot victims and migrants where the registers are maintained by D.C. office, the certificate may be issued by Deputy Commissioner/ GA to D.C./A.D.C.
These instructions shall come into force with immediate effect and shall be effective even where admission prospects have already been printed following earlier instructions but entrance examination is yet to be held or deadline for submission of forms is not yet over.
These instructions may be brought to the notice of all concerned for meticulous compliance.
The receipt of this letter may please be acknowledged.
Joint Secretary Personnel.
Download: Original PDF(93)